Today we presented our concept to Philips. There was very little time, so we only discussed the most important changes. Then Philips gave us a bit of feedback about the size and simplicity. After that we discussed about these topics with the team and decided to change the shape a little. Anyway our design process is going well.
We finalized our design by added a usecues (affordance) which is a small gap between the top part and the main part with a dent. This could make our design a more easily understandable product. Additionally we decided to add a charging unit. The design of this charging unit needs to be nicely balanced with the product itself. Next to making these changes, we started to make technical drawings for the final prototype. We’ll have a presentation for Philips next Friday, so we want to prepare a simple prototype of foam to show the new shape.
We started size test and detailing to develop our product. At first we made 4 different size models which were 60mm, 100mm, 120mm and 150mm diameter. Also we discussed what kind of context we expect in real situation. As our patricians of user research in last week mentioned our first product has a portability which will make peoples new experience. For instance, our daily life is controlled by lamp location and direction which are already existed in room. If this product has portability you can use on your bed or in garden and etcetera. It is great opportunity to make our new light experience in our daily life. Also the product can change color temperature by physical interaction. So we have to make interaction model to test our developed design (probably we will mention affordance and use cue).
After we received feedback from our tutor, we discussed our direction and made a research plan for the user test. We wanted to find a room for the research, so we booked a room on the second floor for the next week. To prepare ourselves we tried the set-up en the camera’s as well.
Last Friday, we were glad to present the “pull” concept with our prototype and a PPT presentation. Margot gave a good presentation. During the presentation, the design process, the concept and the plans for the next few weeks were discussed. We tried to explain why we wanted to design a lamp that can produce light when people pull the top part up. We wanted to create a lamp were the physical change represented the change in light. It is a new and subtle interaction without a common switch. In the picture with a possible context, the Traho is exhibited in a nice environment with elegant and simple furniture, to give the clients a feeling related to Lirio. We were luck that our prototype worked successfully and that the clients think it’s a nice and strong design in it’s simplicity. After that, we are looking forward to make our product even better in the next few weeks!
Last week, we worked on the prototype. In the beginning, there were some constrains because we wanted to use the materials available in the PMB, but we managed to find tubes in matching sizes. During the modeling process, we came up with different techniques to make the model better.First we used the CNC to cut a plastic plate to make the cover for the top and bottom parts. When all the components were ready, we used the sanding machine to make the acrylic tube semi-transparent, which was more elegant. Then the top and bottom part were prepared for painting with sandpaper. The technical parts were being processed at the same time. They were assembled afterwards but not stuck together. Then we used spray paint to create a silver texture on the outside. At last, we stuck the components together and connected them to the computer for a final test.
We visited to Philips lighting department. We had a tour their office (model making department and decision making department). Then we had a presentation about technical possibilities, and we could see almost all their products at their showroom. We could get nice inspirations for ITD project.