This is the last post on our Home Energy Manager project for Eneco. This week we will be busy with setting up the exhibition, final checks of the prototype and making the promotion material like posters and information leaflets.
This afternoon we will give a 1 minute presentation. In the morning our programmer fixed some connections between Max and Flash. The prototype we finished last wednesday. Today we will do a try out with the prototype and see if all the menu-entities can be run trough flawless. The rest of the day will be scheduled for a quick inventory on how to build the decor (for the final presentation) around our prototype. We will continue with the poster and leaflets aswell.
During this week our proto-typer assembled all the hardware parts of the prototype; the frame, the screen, sensors, magnet, blades, the phidget and the button. Today we will test if the interface works in the prototype, and if certain connections with Max need to be fixed. In the afternoon we will paint the wooden frame and if possible fix all the parts of the prototype. We defined the exact content of our triage presentation next week and how we will set up the final presentation.
This week, first we checked the connection between the computer and the 10 inch TFT screen. Secondly we checked the connection between the phidget, the sensors and the LED’s. It all worked out well, so one part of the team continues working on the last parts of the Flash interface, while the programmer will figure out how to connect the interface of the phidget to the Flash interface.
The other part of the team is making some prototype try-outs with cardboard and polymer paper to see implications, that can occur when final prototyping next week. Below you can see the pictures of the defenitive 10 inch TFT screen and the freezed steel frames and parts, which we will assemble next week.
This week we have finalized the Autocad files and our programmer has rewritten the Max scripts so it can run the interface on the new screen. Last week we ordered a 7 inch LCD screen, which could not represent the interface clearly, today we ordered a 10 inch TFT screen. Below you can see the preliminary sketches and the Autocad drawings. The Autocad drawings we will send to a steelfreezing company and to the CamLab at the faculty of Architecture TU Delft.
As mentioned in the previous post this week we started with modelling the final prototype.
The interface and dimensions of the Flash file are now adapted to the measurements of the final prototype, below you can see some screen shots. The physical parts of the prototype were detailed in order to send a proposal to potential manufacturers.
Last tuesday we had a brief meeting to revise our concept regarding the aim of Eneco and this ITD course.
We came up with improvements on the appearance and the physical user interactions with the prototype.
Today we decided to minimize the amount of screens, used for the prototype. The coming prototype will exist of one screen and the selection of rooms will be done with blades on the backside of this screen. Which you can see on the photo of the cardboard prototype in this poster.
How to access the different menus: electricity, costs and temperature is still to be discussed. We will sketch different selection tools and ways of controlling within the menu’s. Today we will order some materials in order to start modelling next week.
Hereby a movie which shows the most interesting insights from the user test.
[object:flash:http://www.youtube.com/v/wbonAGBaonM&hl=en_US&fs=1& width:400 height:324]
This week on thursday we conducted our first user test, based on the work flow chart from last week. On friday we discussed these results and made a Final Prototype Planning. Below some pictures of the user test, with the three participants out of target group. Next week we will post a video compilation of the user test. By doing the user test some bugs in the Max5 and Flash connection were revealed, which are fixed today. Then we got useful feedback from th users and new input from our target group for our prototype.
After the nutcracking presentation we decided to review our concept to come to more solid and thought through prototype.
In order to get full understanding and to know how to instruct the users for our user test next week. We made three flow charts on how the prototype should work. One on checking the costs, one on controlling the electricity and one on temperature control.
These graphs will serves as guidlines for the programmer, model maker and the graphic designers, who will work on the global interface visualization. Next post will resume the outcome of the user test.