style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Calibri’,’sans-serif'”>PlanningsoNormal”>The following scheme reveals our group planning. Lots of things have
been explored and decisions were made about the final building. However, at the
moment we have to wait for a new delivery of LEDs before we can proceed with
building the techno part of the blocks. Furthermore must we wait for the
milling of the modules to take place, before we can proceed with developing
main parts of the final model.
Per section are the items placed in a more or less chronologic order.
before reading: all updates non-relevant with June 11 are in Italic and have
This final model implies that the ‘LED-block’ has two tubes; the top one
being slightly larger compared to the bottom one.
– The top one has two holes, through and through. These contain only two
DUO-LEDS and resistances. A duo led is a led which contains two colors,
depending on the direction of the current flow it lights up one of them. This
reduces our possible error rate with 50%! The legs of the two LEDs are moved in
4 directions (90 degrees)
– The bottom tube has one hole, only a few mm deep. It contains a magnet
at the bottom, attracting the metal plate between the rails on the module. Furthermore
has this part notches on the sides.
– When the two parts are glued together piece of contact-sheet for
electronic contacts are soldered on the legs of the LED. Then these are bended
over the edge of the bottom tube. These fit in the notches made for the legs,
and the soldering.
When the ‘led-blocks’ are positioned in the module, they are drawn to
the metal at the bottom between the rails and secured between metal stripes at
the insides of the rails. On the insides of the rails is a piece of cell rubber
placed between the rail and the metal bar for the connection. This makes sure
the ‘led-blocks’ always make contact with the metal outside, due to the spring
resistance of the cell-rubber.
When this was decided, calculations were made on the exact measurements
of all parts. The measurements for the modules are visualized in figure 2.
The PMB already milled one module, however the back was too thin,
whereby the module lost its strength. Figure 2 has a thicker back, and will be
used for requesting information about milling the module from wood. Furthermore
are mails send out requesting information from the professional world about
laser cutting the metal parts needed for contact bars.
When the calculations were done, parts could be ordered online like the
LEDS and magnets, and other parts could be made, like the tubes [figure 3] and
the covers of the ‘LED-blocks’ could be vacuum formed after modeling them with
wood [figure 4].
could not finish all the explorations we would like to make last week, we
continued with the plan we made. Another important thing was the presentation
for Philips. They were interested in the progress we made and the results of
the user tests, but especially in the product as we would like to develop it at
this stage. The most interesting products are going to be picked out, and
researched by the marketing department, whether it is possible and interesting
to submit for a patent and a product protection. Unfortunately Philips still
thinks of our product as being a state of art, which is not simplistic, and
therefore not immediately appropriate and feasible in the Philips brand. But
the good news is that after the presentation about the new concept, they would
like to submit our product for product protection too! Because our interaction
The rest of the day we spent to finish the visualizations,
the 3d modeling part and exploring about the electronic issues the product has.
The results are summarizes in the following pictures.
with four magnets under the cylinder of the block, the current goes through the
magnets which are there to allow the blocks to stick to the frame.
prototype plan was not finished yet, so an extra meeting was needed to finish
this plan. We made a SWOT analysis about our group and an extended planning
about what when who is going to work on the prototype, and we included
milestones to finish it in time. The planning and the SWOT analysis are as
not enough time left to finish our prototype plan; therefore we decided to
finish it after the weekend.
day was full of feedback. First we received critical remarks about our
postcards in the lecture: the postcard is nice to see, and the working of the
product becomes clear while looking at the picture. The technical background
was for our audience a bit confusing. The overall feedback was that we have to
think about our target group for the postcard; imagine that you are on a
bourse, and want the visitors to remember your concept after they saw it.
The second station
we had to go was to the clinic of Walter Aprile and Thomas Visser. They told us
that we should be aware of the target group of Philips; and take participants
that fit to this audience.
The last station was the most interesting one of
the three. We met David Keyson. Because he is the Philips expert of ITD, we had
a lot of questions waiting for him. The feedback we received from Philips was
that our product did not fit in the portfolio of Philips. But David Keyson made
us more confident with our design concept, because the product should fit in
the Lirio part of Philips. With discussed all this discussion by making a mind