Eneco 3: building the final prototype

After testing a paper prototype it was time to convert our previous working prototype into a new one.

We started with the design in illustrator. With the use of a laser cutter the main shape of the prototype has been constructed out of wood. As you can see there are already places for the buttons (square holes) and for the LED’s (small round holes). On the bottom of the shape their is place for the display and 3 more buttons (navigating and email).

 

 
 
Next step was to make buttons which can be placed on top of the device. We choose to make these from perspex. The icons are inscribed into the buttons with the use of sandblasting. On the pictures some buttons are white while others are transparant. This will change in the final shape of the prototype, now some are still covered with protection plastic on the back.

 

 

 
 
 

Our next step will be to paint the device just like our renders (they can be found in our previous posts). Then the electronics will be added. We also have to think of a solution for the transparency of the buttons, because they will show the elektronics behind it (which is not nice to see). For presenting our prototype we also plan to build a scene based on multiple rooms represented with the help of a closet. This will make the use of our device even more realistic. Because we are not there yet, we will show it to you when it’s time!

 

 

Eneco 3: user test

Now the
concept was clear, the user testing could start!

With a
paper prototype and a scenario we asked a few people to try it out. From the
test we got valuable feedback which we considered in our next step, building
the final prototype

 

 

 

 

 

Feedback:

-The
users understood that the buttons were representing devices, grouped buttons
were representing rooms and that the lights on the bottom of the devices where
showing the energy usage of the whole house compared to the neighbourhood.

– The
icon of the neighbourhood is a little confusing, it doesn’t show if it is only
a street or the whole village but this can be explained.

– A
green coloured buttons made some people think the where using ‘green’ energy. This
is something you should know by using the device once.

 

From the
users we also got a few tips to improve the eNotion:

– Make a
few buttons for outlets where no fixed device is plugged

– Make
it possible to show the history of energy usage for a device

 

With
this feedback in mind, we started working on the final prototype which will be
previewed in the next blog!

Our inspirations for movie making  

[object:flash:http://www.youtube.com/v/RVyofNRyGzA width:425 height:334]

[object:flash:http://www.youtube.com/v/Nn4rFN_9aHU width:425 height:334]

[object:flash:http://www.youtube.com/v/7zFgHNMlRqg width:425 height:334] 

[object:flash:http://www.youtube.com/v/bS9rNAhoTo0 width:425 height:334] 

[object:flash:http://www.youtube.com/v/fMEw-EHNHcE width:425 height:334]  

To build the prototype, we selected a suitable table and collected wooden materials to build the frame. 

 

Iteration 5 Prototype – Friday 28 May

use we
could not finish all the explorations we would like to make last week, we
continued with the plan we made. Another important thing was the presentation
for Philips. They were interested in the progress we made and the results of
the user tests, but especially in the product as we would like to develop it at
this stage. The most interesting products are going to be picked out, and
researched by the marketing department, whether it is possible and interesting
to submit for a patent and a product protection. Unfortunately Philips still
thinks of our product as being a state of art, which is not simplistic, and
therefore not immediately appropriate and feasible in the Philips brand. But
the good news is that after the presentation about the new concept, they would
like to submit our product for product protection too! Because our interaction
is innovative!

The rest of the day we spent to finish the visualizations,
the 3d modeling part and exploring about the electronic issues the product has.
The results are summarizes in the following pictures.